Monday, 12 September 2011

CPD23 Thing 19: Catch up week on integrating ‘things’

I thought I’d spend a window of opportunity at work having a CPD23 catch up this afternoon.  No point in trying to access Jing for thing 18, so I’ve skipped to thing 19 and will look at 18 at home!

This ‘thing’ asks us to consider what elements we’ve found most useful and how we might integrate them into our working routine.  I’ve found so many bits useful, and others not so, that I wondered where to start…

I’ve played around with RSS Feeds and my Google Reader – I don’t look at them everyday and its primarily at home I get the time, but I’ve definitely come across some useful bits from adding selected blogs to my reader.  One of the  tools I’ve definitely started using more is Twitter (@LibraryLJE if you’re interested).  Its set up on my BlackBerry and I check it on the bus, train during breaks and at spare moments in the day to see what’s happening in the world – I fear I have become slightly hooked!  I spent time on Sunday following the new Strictly Come Dancing celebrities (and creating a list for my autumn addiction), and I’ve followed David Walliams swim in the Thames with interest.  And then there’s the work related benefits from bits I’ve picked up.  Thanks to this program alone I’ve found some excellent individuals and organisations to follow.  I even participated a little in a #UKLibChat session which was a new experience for me.  Likewise a discussion on LinkedIn.

Facebook is a personal tool for me now, other than for maintaining the Cilip EoE page which is growing and gaining new followers, and the session on personal brands really helped me think about my online presence.  My LinkedIn network is growing and I can really see the benefit of linking with colleagues past and present, and a few friends too.  The groups on there have had some good discussions and information sharing going on.

Two things I’ve not used much yet but would like to develop my use of are Google Docs and Evernote.  Google Docs I think I’ll get to try at a meeting in a few weeks, and although I have a list of books to read in Evernote I’m sure I can develop my use of it over time.

The thing I’ve enjoyed the most is definitely the blogging.  Although I’ve blogged about the odd random thing, its primarily been about this course and in future I’d like to continue with the blog writing – not entirely sure what about yet.  Also not convinced there’ll be people that want to read my ramblings but I’ll put them out here anyway…..

No comments:

Post a Comment