As part of thing 7 a meet up has been arranged in Cambridge for this evening, which I was really looking forward to attending – not least so I could meet Jo and MG who I’ve exchanged numerous emails with! Unfortunately events have conspired against me and I’m not going to get there, so will need to continue with my online networking from thing 6!
So face to face networks and professional organisations – what have I done?
Well I’m a member of CILIP and have been since I was a student – those of you who have read my blog posts before will know that I’m currently working through the chartership process. I had a really useful face-to-face meeting with my mentor on Monday and am feeling much happier about the next draft of my evaluative statement now.
I always try to read the CILIP update magazines etc, and have found some useful info from them – I find that the hard copy magazines I am more likely to browse than a website/email link, so must change my mindset with fewer hard copy editions of magazines being produced.
In March this year I attended an East of England branch meeting as an observer, and came away having taken on the role of joint web editor. That has been a great way of building a network with others in the area – yes it has been primarily online so far, but there will be future meetings and it also means there are people I can call upon for advice when I need it.
This ‘thing’ prompted me to take a look at the BIALL (The British and Irish Association of Law Librarians) website. I have a LLB (Hons) Law Degree in addition to my Library and Information Studies Post Grad, so have often thought that maybe one day I could combine the two and take a jump away from public libraries. I even found myself taking a look at the BIALL Job Board and I’m pretty certain I’ll be back looking hear again in the future… thanks CPD23 for opening my eyes to this website!
No comments:
Post a Comment